9 August 2013

Food Diary




As some of you might know I have been keeping a visual food diary on Instagram for the past couple of months. I felt like my diet was getting a bit out of hand what with holidays, lots of eating out & parties. After being inspired by lots of health & fitness accounts it seemed like a good way to keep track of exactly what I'm putting inside me & stay motivated.

I don't follow a diet I simply follow the 80:20 way of eating (80% clean wholesome food, 20% more indulgent 'treats') it works perfectly for me, my weight doesn't really fluctuate & it allows me to eat healthily without depriving myself of anything I really feel like having.
I try to eat as organically & 'clean' as possible, foods that are in their natural state & haven't been processed & pumped full of preservatives/ chemicals. 

I eat carbs (pasta, bread, potatoes etc.), dairy & meat which I know some people might not agree with in terms of an optimal healthy diet but it works for me. I have a very active lifestyle & love exercise so need the energy carbs provide, for me a low carb diet doesn't work & I just end up feeling starving & exhausted. On rest days I do opt for a balance higher in protein & veg than carbs. 
I also bake treats like cake & cookies from scratch so I have complete control of how naughty to make them, often adding in protein powder & substituting ingredients to make them a better everyday choice. 

So here is last weeks food diary round-up.
day 1. full fat cappuccino. 'naked avocado' sandwich from Pret.
 espresso with coconut oil & homemade banana bread. 
spelt angel hair spaghetti with brown shrimp, squid, homemade chilli pesto & lots of fresh corriander.

day 2. freshly squeezed lemon, apple & mint juice & espresso machiatto. 
salmon fillet with spinach sauteed in coconut oil, roasted aubergine & fresh tomatoes.
 frozen yoghurt with kiwi, raspberries & blueberries. 
fresh organic sushi (avocado nigri, softshell crab & avocado maki, salmon & avocado handroll & some spicy squid)

day 3. sliced apple with organic peanutbutter. salmon, mozzarella, tomato & watercress sandwich. 
full fat cappuccino. grilled chicken breast, new potatoes with olive oil & mint & tomato & avocado salad with basil.

day 4. warm water & lemon & wholefoods breakfast pot 
(full fat yoghurt, Lizi's good carb granola & apple & pear). big glass of Pimms. 
burrata, salad & Italian meat sharing platter. no added sugar banana & chocolate gelato.

day 5. avocado seasoned with chilli & lime & poached egg (didn't eat the toast). 
Coyo coconut milk ice cream with blueberries.
homemade protein banana bread. chicken breast with wholemeal pitta, guacamole, cucumber & vine tomatoes.

day 6. avocado, poached egg & bacon on wholemeal toast. grande iced white americano. 
chilli prawn linguine with coriander. a few chunks of dark chocolate with coconut.

day 7. organic full fat latte, protein cookie & cherries (all from Farmer's Market). 
roasted veg & spinach wholemeal sandwich.
Lebanese chicken wrap with salad. homemade protein banana bread.

NB. I don't take pictures of the water I drink (roughly 2 litres/ day).

At the end of August I'll be putting up progress photos of the impact keeping a food diary & being more aware of what I'm eating has had on me.

Harriet x

No comments:

Post a Comment