10 June 2014

How to Make Healthy Granola

Clean & Lean Healthy Homemade Granola
As the weather gets better here in old blightly I want something a little more fresh than porridge to eat in the morning. Last Summer I went on holiday to Spain with my friend Susannah & every morning we had lovely granola with natural yoghurt & fruit, it was just the perfect breakfast for a Summer morning. However, the varieties of granola that you buy in the shop often have hidden ingredients & sugar so this weekend I decided to make my own healthy granola. I'm also normally in a massive rush in the morning so I need something that's quick. This healthy, clean and lean granola is delicious & so quick & easy to make...!

I find that granolas & mueslis that you find in the supermarkets often have dried fruit in them which I don't personally like (& are full of sugar & unneeded calories). I'm also allergic to a few types of nuts that often come in supermarket granola so I really wanted to try making my own to get exactly what I want...and I can't believe how easy it is!

I adapted this recipe from the Clean & Lean Diet Recipe Book (that Harriet gave me for my birthday). You can make a large amount, store in an airtight jar & serve with yoghurt & some fruit or berries. You can have it for breakfast, dessert or as a healthy snack. This granola is sugar free and really good for your insides!

Serve with natural yoghurt (my favourite is Total Greek) & fruit
Store granola in an airtight jar
So this is how to make it...

Ingredients:
Rolled Oats
Sunflower & Pumpkin Seeds
Coconut Oil
Linseed
Toasted coconut flakes
Pecans & Hazelnuts (or nuts of your choice)
Cinnamon
Vanilla extract

If you can get the ingredients Organic then all the better, I sourced mine from Whole Foods.

1. Firstly, preheat your oven to 190 C. Mix together about 300g of oats, 1 tsp of ground cinnamon & a drop of vanilla extract in a bowl with 2 tblsp of coconut oil.

Coconut oil has a huge amount of health benefits & it gives the granola a really delicious flavour so I would highly recommend using it over another type of oil. Also, it's quite important to have large rolled oats.

2. Once mixed, spread on a baking tray and pop in the oven for 20 minutes until the oats are golden brown, occasionally turning them with a wooden spoon.

3. Choose your favourite nuts. Try to buy them as natural as possible (i.e not blanched) and smash them up a bit it a pestle & mortar.

Crush the Hazelnuts in a pestle & mortar 
4. Add the nuts & seeds to a frying pan with a little coconut oil and toast lightly. Leave them to one side to cool.

5. Once everything has cooled mix the oats & nuts together and add a handful of toasted coconut flakes.

That's it! Now you can sit back & relax, it's so simple..

Clean & Lean Granola
Clean & Lean Granola

This recipe is so simple to make, really delicious & very healthy. I hope James Duigan doesn't mind that I've pinched & adapted his Clean & Lean recipe but it's just too good I had to share!

I don't really follow the Clean & Lean diet but I would really recommend the recipe book as it has some fantastic healthy ideas that are easy to make and really tasty!

What's your favourite healthy recipe?
Isobel x


6 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, shop bought granola & cereal / muesli no matter "how healthy" they say it is, is full of added sugar & calories from the dired fruit to the extra syrups added to it etc.

    This looks so delicious, definitely will be on my agenda to try out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you'll try it! You can up the quantities of vanilla & cinnamon if you're missing the sugar fix! x

      Delete
  2. Granola is yummy especially with Greek yogurt, honey and walnuts yummy Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think so. I think your article will give those people a good reminding. And they will express thanks to you later
    rice exporters in pakistan

    ReplyDelete