12 December 2013

Review: ORIGINS Clear Improvement Mask





I haven't bought a good mask in years! With winter upon us and as my dry, wind blustered skin calls out for some TLC I decided to splash out on a trio of masks from Origins. Each mask on it's own costs £22 for 100ml. However, at the moment, you can buy 3 different masks (all 75ml size), packaged prettily and branded as the Origins Mask Marvel Set. For just £25 which makes this set over double the amount of product for just £3 extra! The set contains Drink Up Overnight Mask, Drink Up 10 Minute Mask & Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask. Not only is this a bargain no-brainer, this set would also make a lovely Christmas gift for a beauty loving friend. 

So far I have only tried the Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask but I plan to write a review of the others when I get a chance to try them. The 3 key ingredients in this mask are Active Charcoal, White China Clay & Lecithin which Origins claim to "draw out pore-cloggers", "absorb environmental toxins" & "dissolve impurities". All 3 naturally occurring substances are well known for their beneficial cosmetic properties. Clinical studies of Lecithin have shown it to benefit acne. White Clay has been used for centuries and is particularly good for sensitive skin because it is so mild. 

I have used this mask twice now and can already say I have seen some improvement to the congestion of my skin. My skin feels smooth and pores superficially clear. Obviously problematic areas and stubborn spots still remain but I would hope after consistent use these might be reduced quite substantially. As I find with all Origins products they last a long time, so once a week use should not be a problem.

Directions say to first open pores with a warm, moist towel, however, I just had a long soak in a hot bath which is hopefully good enough. I have found I need a couple of layers of product in order to cover the whole face as it spreads quite thinly. It has the texture of something like acrylic paint rather than a thick clay which surprised me but isn't unpleasant.  It has a fresh, clean, light and distinctly "Origins" smell with a slight clay-like after note. Very pleasant.

It takes about 5-10 minutes to dry and I wash it off as soon as it has dried with help from a muslin cloth. It dries with quite a soft & smooth texture, not like the usual flakey and cracking texture of a charcoal or clay mask. I have quite dry skin, especially in winter months, so I feel tightness immediately after I have washed it off and have to run straight to my room to moisturise. I notice my skin looks quite red after using the mask which I think is to do with the properties of the White China Clay that stimulate circulation. The redness goes down pretty quickly and the biggest difference I notice in my skin is even tone and a smoother complexion. 

Despite the pretty hefty price tag I would really recommend this product and in fact all Origins products are really worth the bucks for their natural & pure ingredients. 

Hope you enjoyed this review. Let me know your thoughts about this product if you have tried it in the comments below.

Izzy x

2 comments:

  1. Great post Izzy! Tres informative, I can't wait to give the masks ago - my skin = a sun dried tomatoe without the oil (ha). I love reading your blog, keep the posts coming. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Definitely give the Drink Up Overnight mask a go if your skin is feeling dry...review to come soon! Izzy x

      Delete