30 November 2013

Brunch at M1LK



Last week I made a slightly hungover trip to M1LK in Balham with a couple of friends. 
I'd already been wowed by the breakfast menu back in the summer, after from Suzanne from i make it fashion suggested we try out the new addition to the Hildreth Street Market. 
I've been raving about the place & the vibrant original food ever since so this return visit was long overdue.


The seating inside is quite limited, which combined with the amazing food & artisan coffee on offer can create pretty big queues, especially at busy weekend times. 
The decor is eclectic & a little bit hipster but there's always a really nice mix of people eating there. 
I love that you can see the tiny open kitchen from the dining area, seeing the chefs whipping up all the delicious food just adds to the laid-back friendly environment.

Drinks-wise I went for a hot chocolate (I needed the sugar otherwise I would have got a flat white, as the coffee here is GOOD) whilst the others went for English breakfast tea.


I love how they serve the teapot, cup, saucer & milk in a little stack like this.



The brunch menu reads like my idea of food heaven, I could eat breakfast food all day long! 
This time I opted for the baked eggs with butternut squash & feta, Chris went for the Young Betty (poached eggs, drycure bacon & burnt butter hollandaise) & Christina got the Young Betty with salmon instead of bacon.


As well as an excellent cooked brunch M1LK also have an amazing selection of homemade cakes, which they display along the counter. One day I will try the strawberry milk cake!



The distressed cosy interior is covered in hung artwork, shelves & framed pictures all of which contribute to the happy vibe exuded by the Aussie diner.


The baked eggs were absolutely delicious, they were cooked & seasoned perfectly. 
Butternut squash & feta makes a lovely light addition to the dish that doesn't leave you feeling overly full. 
The toasted sourdough was crispy & tangy, perfect for dipping in the bright orange Burford Brown yolks.


The salmon on Christina's Young Betty looked amazingly fresh & tasty. She said it was incredible.


Even Chris who is pretty hard to impress loved his bacon with poached eggs & hollandaise. 
I appreciated the flowers garnishing his dish even if he didn't pay them much attention. 
Definitely an Instagram worthy plate of food!


We left M1LK happy & full, all traces of a hangover gone.
One of the best brunch spots I've found in London & it only set us back a tenner each.

M1LK are open 8am - 5pm Monday - Friday
            9am - 5pm Sunday

They do not take reservations, first come first served.

Harriet x
Square Meal Square Meal

No comments:

Post a Comment