14 November 2013

Life Lately; Borough Market, Covent Garden & Shake Shack

I love reading these kind of day-in-the-life posts on other peoples blogs so thought I would give one a whirl & share a lovely day I had around London earlier this week.

Having started my day very early with a sunrise workout near London Bridge, I found myself with a free morning in what had turned into one of those gorgeous low lying sun-filled days with bright blue  skies.

Being around London Bridge means one thing to me, Borough Market & Monmouth coffee. We arrived at the market just as it was setting up & it was really relaxing to wander around without all the hustle & bustle of the crowds.


We grabbed a couple of cappuccinos & sat on the benches outside Monmouth making the most of the sunshine.

 
The stalls that seem to open the earliest are the fruit & veg sellers. I was in fruit heaven & would have bought a whole baskets worth if we had been heading home straight after.


Instead I got some delicious antioxidant packed blueberries to have as a post-workout snack. 


We were heading into Covent Garden to pick up something from the Apple Store & since it was such a beautiful day we decided to walk. It's only about thirty minutes from London Bridge & a beautiful route along the Southbank, across Blackfriars Bridge, past Somerset House & onto The Strand. Doing things like this really makes me appreciate living in London as normally I would just jump on the tube & miss out on seeing how beautiful the City can be.


I can't get enough of those autumn colours! I have developed a slight obsession with the changing leaves this year.

After queuing for a lifetime at the genius bar, we left the Apple Store feeling like we deserved some lunch. There was one place I've been wanting to try out for a while, & seeing as I had already done a workout that day... It seemed a good time to try Shake Shack.



Located inside the piazza of Covent Garden market, the whole place was looking extremely Christmasy with huge red & silver baubles hanging from the arched ceiling of the market. 

The frozen custard & shakes sounded (and looked) amazing but I wasn't feeling quite indulgent enough for one that day. I love idea of the little doggy section on the menu! I might have to return before Christmas & buy Ajax some red velvet dog biscuits.

 
We both went for the shack-made lemonade, Daniel ordered a triple SmokeShack whilst I got a single ShackBurger & fries. The burgers looked very appetising with lots of fresh salad poking out of the bun & overall we both really enjoyed them. My only complaint would be that the cheese sauce is a little artificial tasting. The chips were really good, super fluffy inside, light & non-greasy. For me Shake Shack doesn't compare to Honest or Patty&Bun for a really amazing burger but it did have the advantage of being a lot less filling & without the queues of Honest & P&B it's better for a quick bite to eat.

To walk off our lunch we had a long wander round the markets & up to Seven Dials. Covent Garden is probably the most Christmasy place in London, they really go to town on the decorations & you just can't help getting in the festive spirit after spending an afternoon here.




After lots of window-shopping & planning Christmas presents we hopped on the tube home in time to walk Ajax just as the sun was setting & the sky turned the most wonderful shade of pink.

Harriet x

No comments:

Post a Comment