4 February 2013

Skin Care for Cyclists


       


This is a post about how to look after your skin if you are a cyclist. So, before you carry on reading, this isn't a post about anti chaffing creams or saddle sore. I just have some practical advice on how to take care of your skin when braving the elements on your bike.

I commute to work in London everyday on my bike (I ride a Dawes Ultra if anyone's wondering). That's not to say I'm a lycra wearing speed monster. It is the quickest and easiest way for me to get to work, I have been cycling for years and quite frankly, I enjoy it. My journey is about half an hour long, and let me tell you, it's not for the faint hearted. Blistering cold winds, biting rain, mud, pollution and even on occasion being sprayed with window screen wash mean that my poor skin takes a beating every morning and evening, 5 days a week. So here are some rules that I live by:

ALWAYS use Lip Balm
If you do nothing else, just follow this one rule. The skin on your lips is so thin and fragile. Before I cycle I use something like Kiehl's Mango Lip Balm (10) which actually claims to help protect your lips from wind and cold weather. And to soothe dry lips after a cycle I would normally use a medicated relief cream such as this one from Blistex (6).
Exfoliate Less
I personally feel for my dry skin, exfoliating once a week is too much. I find I want to be as gentle and as kind to my skin as possible. If you want a deep clean though I would recommend using a facial brush along with your normal cleanser like the Botanics Facial Brush (2) and for when I do exfoliate once or twice a month I like to use Origins Modern Friction (9) which is very gentle.
Wear an SPF
Instead of wearing sun block I normally try to buy foundations or BB creams that have SPF in them (it's a real time saver!) I always put makeup on before I get on my bike because I don't really work up that much of a sweat and I can never be bothered to carry my makeup to work with me. Also I feel like it provides a barrier between my skin and the weather, so that can't be a bad thing! At the moment I use Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation (5) and Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector BB cream (8). Lots of face creams now have SPF in them too so there is really no excuse...
Use Anti-Wrinkle Cream
Even though I am only 23 I am aware that my skin will line and age prematurely from being exposed to changing adverse weather conditions. It's always best to prevent rather than cure. Having said that, if you're young like me you don't need to spend a fortune on anti-wrinkle creams (yet) so something like Garnier Ultra Lift Cream (3) will do. Make sure to shop around as it is only £6.25 at Tesco compared to £9.79 at Boots!
Use a Cleansing Oil
This one is more about personal preference and again is about being kind and gentle to your skin. I feel by using a cleansing oil instead of a foaming face wash I am still keeping moisture in my skin whilst also being able to clean it. It took some getting used to but I really noticed a difference in my skin when I switched from a foaming face wash to Origins Clean Energy (7).
Repair and Restore
There is only so much you can do to protect and prevent damage to your skin. Apart from using a good moisturiser I like to bring my skin back to life with an occasional face mask like Lush Oatifix (1). I also really want to try Heal Gel Intensive (4) which is supposed to do wonders for "troublesome" skin. Personally I think face masks are far too expensive so you could try making your own at home!

I hope you enjoyed this post, please let me know if you are a cyclist and have any of your own tips and tricks!

Isobel x

No comments:

Post a Comment