6 January 2013

Healthy Tip, Coffee Shops


What I order in Starbucks and other coffee shops whilst still maintaining a healthy diet!

My key tips on staying healthy when ordering yourself to a delicious drink:

#1 ask for SKIMMED milk
Skimmed milk contains exactly the same amount of protein as full fat & semi skimmed, the main difference is the fat content. Unless your trying to put on weight or are super active and need the extra calories, the extra fat is unnecessary and will just cost you extra time in the gym later!

#2 drink SIZE
If I'm visiting a chain coffee shop I'll always choose Starbucks over any of the others, why? Because you can order any drink in a 'short' size. They don't put this size up as an option on the menu boards but its the same cup size that you get with a flat white or kids drink (8oz). As well as being a bit cheaper it cuts a big chunk out of the calories and sugar in your drink, and I find it tastes better anyway with a stronger coffee:milk ratio. With this 'short' option I'll also allow myself one of their naughty drinks if I'm having a treat day, as something like a skinny peppermint mocha (current favourite) is 100kcals less in the short size than the tall with over 10g less sugar!

#3 change the amount of SYRUP -
My favourite winter drink is a gingerbread latte, especially leading up Christmas its a lovely warming treat on a day out. However even in a short size it packs a hefty sugar punch at 18g. In a short drink Starbucks Baristas use 2/3 pumps of syrup, with each pump adding over 5g of sugar. Without skimping on taste I'll always ask for just ONE pump of syrup in my drink. Especially if your having a small cup of coffee I find the syrup too overpowering anyway without modifying my order!

#4 good QUALITY, INDEPENDENT coffee shops -
Although I do love Starbucks for it's decadent yummy drinks I don't drink them on a regular basis. My go to drink from an independent coffee shop is a small cappuccino. A lot of artesian coffee shops will only use full fat milk, which I don't mind as the cup size is normally very small compared to the big coffee chains, however if they do carry it I'll ask for skimmed. The coffee tastes a lot stronger than Starbucks which I personally like, and they often use microfoam (wet foam) that tastes very creamy and is used to make latte art, I'm always a sucker for pretty presentation! My favourite independent coffee shops in London are Le Petit Boulanger who also do the best croissants I've come across (for a proper treat day) and Monmouth Coffee in Borough Market which is a must visit if your a coffee lover in London. Theres normally a huge queue outside (about 10-20mins) so only go if your not in a rush, very delicious coffee & multi award winning!

#5 SKINNY HOT CHOCOLATE -
If I'm unable to get a protein shake in straight after my workout any coffee shop will provide me with my cheat protein shake, aka a skinny hot chocolate. The casein & whey protein naturally found in milk is what we pay for in expensive protein powders, whey is the fast acting protein and casein is slow acting, by having a natural mix of the two the casein influences the whey to act a bit slower, lasting longer in the body and improving the chances of your body absorbing more of it. The simple sugars present in the chocolate powder are what your body needs after an intense workout- sugar, and fast! This sugar replenishes muscle glycogen, if you don't get sugar in your post workout meal your body may actually break down existing muscle for the same purpose. Its high water content also replaces the fluids you have lost in sweat preventing dehydration! A lot of evidence is actually showing that chocolate milk is the perfect recovery post training drink, out performing many shakes and sports drinks on the market. However before you start gulping hot chocolate at the end of 20mins on the cross trainer, you need to take a look at the intensity of your workout, its only going to benefit you if your doing high intensity endurance training! Think circuits, cycling, swimming & boxing.

All of these tips mention skimmed milk however if you are lactose intolerant/ cutting out dairy feel free to substitute for soy milk which is also low fat and contains almost the same protein as cows milk.

1 comment:

  1. I found this blog quite randomly but have really enjoyed reading it so far! Loving these tips!!

    Consider your blog followed :)

    Best,
    Reena

    http://lifestyleenthusiast.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete