2 January 2013

Isobel's Diet

So, in a bid to keep up with my all time, ultimate, number one New Years resolution I am starting a diet and have decided to write about it here on this blog. With any luck, I am hoping that this might actually motivate me to some sort of success this year!


I'm starting the oh so on trend diet, Intermittent Fasting. Also named by some as Alternate day fasting or 5:2. Call it what you will, essentially the principles are this: you eat 500 calories on two non-consecutive days (600 calories for men) and the other 5 days you can eat as you normally do. The idea behind it is that the fasting days lower certain hormone levels in our body that help you live longer and of course with the restricted calories you lose weight along the way too. This is not a quick fix diet but more of a way of life.



I have to say, my blogging pal Harriet is not entirely enamoured with the idea of fasting and, believe me, her opinion comes from a very knowledgeable place!

Anyway, I decided today would be my first "fast" day. So far, so good! I mean, I haven't been strict with the calorie count (I'm too busy to be counting calories to the decimal!). So I feel the easiest way for me is to have 3 meals of about 150-200 calories. For breakfast I had a small bowl of porridge made with water and a dash of unsweetened soy milk, lunch was a bowl of vegetable soup and dinner was a piece of granary bread, a poached egg and a bit of spinach. And give or take a black coffee or two that was literally it! I have been feeling hungry, but knowing that I know I can eat whatever I want tomorrow, it hasn't actually been that hard.


Well I plan to update now and again on how it's going, it is still VERY early days I know. Let me know if any of you are planning on starting intermittent fasting, or if you're a pro, let me know how it's going.

All images courtesy of weheartit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment