17 January 2013

Isobel's Diet - Update #1

As you might be aware, from a previous blog post I did two weeks ago, I have embarked on the 5:2 diet (intermittent fasting/ alternate day fasting). 


Getty Images
The premise of the diet is that you fast (eat only 500 calories) for two days a week and the rest of the week you eat completely normally. So I have been on the diet for two weeks now and would love to update you on how it's going. Well, it's going really well! I'm not going to sit here and lie and say that the fast days have been easy (I have done 5 fast days in all) because they aren't but the truth is that they are bearable to get through because I know in the back of my mind if I want to eat something "I can always have it tomorrow". 

And boy do I! I feel like I pig out on my 'feast' days but actually, because my stomach has undoubtedly shrunk, I am probably being more reserved and making wiser, healthier choices with what I do eat. Apart from the obvious benefits (4lb weight loss!!) I am feeling much better in myself. I feel like my digestion is a lot better. I also feel like I have a better awareness of what my body needs and when. On my "feast" days, if I feel hungry, I will eat, but if I don't, I definitely won't just have something for the sake of it!


On my "fast" days I pretty much eat the same things. Dinner is normally a poached egg on wholemeal toast with spinach. I tend not to stray too far away from this as I hate counting calories and it's just easier for me to eat the same things and know I am not going over the 500 calorie limit. On "feast" days I just eat as usual. Dinner for me is normally something like a big bowl of pasta with salad.

A little heads up for other intermittent fasters out there - Miracle Noodles. 
As the website states 'Imagine a world where noodles are calorie free!' Miracle noodles are very low calorie pasta & rice products. Soy, wheat & gluten-free their main ingredient is water! I first read about them in a fantastic article by Anita Chaudhuri in last weekend's Sunday Times Style. I can't wait to try these, they could potentially be a perfect 'fast day' meal!


Let me know if you have tried the 5:2 diet (& how you are doing if your still going!) or Miracle Noodles, would love to hear your thoughts!

Isobel x




5 comments:

  1. I've heard this diet is really good, I did the dukan diet last year and lost half a stone over 2 weeks, but it was so hard to keep it up, no sugar or fruit was a killer! Good luck, looking forward to reading how you get on :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely comment ;-) It has really motivated me to keep going! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard about this diet. I have to lose some weight after the holidays and I may try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely give it a go, I'm really enjoying it. You feel so good after your fast days, really light and energetic!

      Delete
  4. HI :) Could you please enlighten me a little, what do you eat for breakfast and dinner say? And do you ever have an uncontrollable urge to feast on a particular craving of yours?

    ReplyDelete